Saturday, October 9, 2010

Caramel Corn

Lately Steve has been asking for one of his favorite fall treats: Caramel Corn! I always enjoy fixing my first batch of the year because it's usually around the first of fall. Though it's over 80 degrees today, it still feels fall-like as the pretty golden leaves are falling from our trees outside.

My favorite recipe is taken from the Scott County Kansas Centennial cookbook that my mom gave me years ago (aka "the red cookbook"). It is made in the microwave using a paper grocery sack. There are times when I have to change it up and prepare it in the oven due to the fact that it can be hard to find a paper grocery sack. But after our trip to the apple orchard last week, our pie was wrapped in 2 plain brown paper sacks, so I was able to make 2 batches!



Microwave Caramel Corn
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. Karo light corn syrup
1 stick butter or margarine
salt
1/2 t. baking soda
4 qts popped corn

I like to use my Whirley-Pop to pop the popcorn on the stove. Air-popped corn works too. Place popped corn in a brown paper grocery sack and salt to taste. Combine everything except the soda and popcorn in a 1 1/2 quart bowl. Put in microwave and bring to a boil (about 3 minutes) and then continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir in soda. Pour syrup over popcorn and stir. Close bag and shake (this is an important step - it helps break up the corn). Place bag in microwave and cook on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove and shake then cook another 1 1/2 minutes, remove and shake. Cook 30 seconds more. Tear bag open and separate the kernels. Let cool and enjoy!

1 comment:

Rinckey's said...

YUMMY!! Looks great! I have a great recipe that I will share with you! It's my favorite...it's a light caramel sauce. My dad and I would always make it together.