Monday, November 14, 2011

Mission: Organization

Having two boys under the age of 3 has made me come to the realization that in order to maintain my own sanity, I must eliminate as much chaos in my life as possible. One of the main sources of chaos for me is the lack of organization within my home space.
Not long ago I opened up the door to my beloved craft room to find it filled to the brim with STUFF. I literally could not make my way from one side of the room to the other without having to step over piles that have accumulated over the past 3 years. I decided that my first step toward my goal would be to clean this room and turn it into a useable space again. I took a day off work and spent 4 hours rummaging through the contents of the room, getting rid of stuff I didn't need, piling together stuff to donate, and organizing the items I wanted to keep. I documented the process with my camera...but, honestly, I'm too embarrassed to show you the "before" pictures! So, following are the after shots!
What I love is that not every space of every shelf is filled...there's room to grow. There is even an armoire that used to be in Garrett's room, and is now mostly empty! Hard to believe that I was able to eliminate most of the clutter!
There is even space for Garrett's desk! Now he has a place to sit and be creative while I work on my own projects.
This weekend I started on the second step toward my goal, which is to clean and organize all of the closets in our home. I started with the kitchen pantry. I decided to create an information station on the back side of the pantry door. I put up a bulletin board to hold misc. notes, coupons, grocery lists, etc. I also added a wipe-off calendar board that I use to plan out meals for the month (which is also a sanity-saver). In the empty spaces I added some hooks for aprons, bags, and other misc. items to hang.
Sharing my goals with my readers is my way of hopefully inspiring you to take on your own chaos-causers. It's amazing how tackling projects around the house really makes a difference in my attitude. (That craft room has been weighing on me for years! I'm so glad to have my creative space back!)

Next step: Reorganizing my bedroom closet & installing a new hanging system (my current system conveniently crashed to the floor last week in the middle of the night!)

3 comments:

The Currys said...

What chaos are you trying to inspire me to clean up? I am completely organized. Just don't look too closely. :)

davevb said...

Yeah, we are all three related to our Mom, who, we all know, has a lot of lovingly placed/kept stuff. As do I. All I have to do is look to my right and see the 4 shelves full of toys and papers I think I need. Attempting to take control before I leave for mid-missouri.

Kyle and Darci said...

come on kim...you should have showed your before pics! ;) Ha! The craft room looks great and so does the closet. I need to get some organizing done in my house too...but I think I'd have to take a day off to do it like you did!